Monday, November 18, 2013

The day that changed me forever...

Friday, January 13, 1995.  Nicholas only had a few visitations with Randy since the November incident.  I remember Randy came to my apartment early to pick up Nick.  He ended up staying most of the day, and talked to me about getting back together.  I don't remember the exact plans that were made, but when he left I was happy at the prospect of having my family back.  I asked Randy to not take Nick because I didn't want him to be around all the fighting that would probably take place, but Randy assured me there wouldn't be any fighting.  That it would be just he and Nick.  He was going to take Nick to Chuckie Cheese and do things with just the two of them.  So he took him.....

The biggest regret of my entire life....I wish I never let him go....


  
I don't know, I think it was around 11:00 am or noon on Saturday morning, my time frame gets a bit jumbled.  There was a  knock at my door.  It was Randy with Nick.  Nick was sick and throwing up so Randy thought Nick should be home with me.  I looked at Nick and saw a red mark on his forehead.  My immediate thought was something happened to him, I knew you threw up with internal injuries...so I asked Randy what happened to Nick, and what the mark on his forehead was from.  He said Nick had a temper tantrum and rubbed his face in the carpet, he had seen this himself.  Then I asked if he was sure.  Had he left Nick alone at all?  Even to take a shower?  He responded by telling me "I was with him the whole time Katie, he even slept with me the whole night".  So I called the Dr, told him everything, even about the mark on his head, and he thought Nick just had a flu bug.  So I took care of Nick like he had a bug.  I tried to keep him hydrated...he kept throwing up.  His fever kept going up and up.  Then about 5:00 pm his fever spiked up to almost 105.  I started to panic and immediately took him to the ER.  I remember being scared driving down Dansville hill.  I kept looking back at him in his car seat to make sure he was ok.  When we got to the ER believe it or not, we had to sit in the waiting room.  Again I told the nurses what had happened, that he had been with his dad the night before, the mark on his head, the fever, the throwing up.  I remember them looking at me funny.  Finally they took him to a room, I absolutely have no idea how long that took.  Sometime in all of this Randy showed up at the ER, I never told him I was going there, so I don't really know how he knew that's where I was.  But they put an oximeter on his finger and his oxygen was 90.  He was laying in the hospital bed in just his diaper, and the side was up.  He grabbed the rail and kind of rolled on his side and said 'oooowwww'.  So I went to the nurse and told her "something is really hurting him".  Then a nurse came in to draw his blood.  I was stroking his hair and talking to him so he wouldn't see the needle and maybe it wouldn't hurt so much, then for a second I looked away...it seemed like the three of us all looked away at the same time.  Maybe it was just me, I don't know, but when we looked back at Nick, he was gone.  His pupils were dilated.  Randy put his hand in front of his face and said "Nicholas", then I said Nicholas.  The nurse must of coded, because next thing I remember I was in the hall, almost in the storage closet.  The next memory I have I see myself, I see myself drop to my knees and wail something.  Then a nurse told me I was making a scene and scaring the other patients and they took Randy and I to the hospital library.   I was left to pray.  At one point Randy asked me to pray out loud so he could pray too.  I can't even begin to describe the absolute horror it was.  During this time I managed to call my mom hysterically. I remember yelling at her over the phone to come to the hospital.  I remember a nurse coming in to tell me they were breathing for him and trying to get him stable to transport him to Strong.   Then next thing I know mom, dad, and Greg were in the library with us.  I remember mom telling me maybe if Nick heard my voice maybe it would help.  So I marched to the room where he was, past all the nurses, no one was going to stop me.  I went through door.  I saw a nurse look at me with a horrible look on her face, and Dr.  Depra saying "no it's OK, let her in".  He told me Nick was dead, and asked if I wanted to hold him. I said yes.  My memory is very spotty but they must have disconnected his breathing tube and everything else, he had a sheet on and they put him in my arms and I just held him.  I held him for hours. I remember looking up in the doorway and seeing my little brother, and the look on his face.  All my sisters came, as did a couple family friends, like Beth Yohon and Carole and Al Kuhne, my grandma and Ray we all held him.  I remember Father Ventura coming and I asked him 'why did this happen' and he just looked at me.  I don't know, if there is hell on earth this certainly is it.  I remember feeling like I could never be happy again and I went into shock....and for months I was just on autopilot....


No one knew what happened.  Dr. Depra said maybe it was meningitis.  I heard Debbie called the hospital.  I don't know why, or how she even knew we were there.  Then the Livingston County police came.  They separated Randy and I to talk.  I didn't realize what was going on.  They talked to me then left me alone, but they took a really long time talking to Randy.  I walked by the room and heard Randy tell them he was with Nick the whole night.  I didn't know at that time but looking back they thought he was responsible for what happened to Nick.  I didn't leave the hospital until 2:00 am.  By far, the hardest thing I have ever had to do was to leave my child at the hospital. I would never get to see or hold my Nicholas again.

No comments:

Post a Comment